Life is Beautiful

Sunday, May 08, 2005

Digital Photography

I have been following the recent developments in digital photography. I have seen the popularity of digital cameras soar while I was clicking away with my _now_seems_like_arcane film SLR! I absolutely like the fact that digital cameras have lowered the bar for shooting pictures on almost all occasions. It's easy to use, what you see if what you get (well pretty much), there is always room for correction (unlike film cameras) and it allows easy connectivity and sharing using your own PC. Great! Just like anything else that is made too easy, there are some negatives - some because of the cameras and others because of the people who are using the cameras.

Ease of clicking pictures translates into a huge number of pictures to store. It's so easy to click pictures that, people are clicking hundreds of pictures everyday and they are helping the digital storage economy :D.

The second issue I have is really with the people who are clicking pictures. Due to ease of use, these people believe that they are doing really great with their photography skills. To give you an example, I have seen many people post pictures of hibiscus flower on our corporate newsgroup and there are people praising that great effort with adjectives like marvellous and wonderful capture. Is it just me?? I can understand capturing a picture of a rare of unusual flower to be a good use of the camera. It's also not a '_I_am_learning_pardon_me_' thingy. I hope these guys prove me wrong and show me some real photographs. All the cool features of that camera help them click a good, clear, sharp picture, then are you telling me that I just held the camera in front of the flower in various angles and managed to hold the camera still because I am a 23 year old, fit, low_hand_shake individual?

There is some great material to read up for photo enthusiasts on what makes a great photograph -

http://www.photosecrets.com/tips.html
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=2/3/38&pq-locale=en_US

I will dig out more links later. That's all for today.

Life is Beautiful. Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home